Try your mushrooms in this delicious mushroom stuffing recipe this holiday!
Makes 15 cups
- 1½-2 pounds fresh gourmet mushrooms (shitake, elm oyster, blue oyster), sliced
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1½ cup diced onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 12 cups dried, chopped whole wheat bread or gluten-free bread* (see below)
- 1 cup hot chicken broth
- 1/2 cup hot cider
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups diced apple without peel
- 1 cup cranberries
- 1 cup almonds, chopped or sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Coat one 9×13 inch casserole dish with butter
- If using mushrooms from kit: pull off mushrooms or clump of mushrooms by gently twisting. Rinse and gently pat dry. Slice mushrooms. If using elm or blue oysters, the stems can be used along with the caps. If using shiitake, remove the stem and use the caps.
- In large skillet heat butter and add mushrooms, onion, celery, salt, pepper, sage, rosemary, and thyme. Sauté for 5 minutes and remove from heat.
- In large mixing bowl, combine breadcrumbs with broth and cider. Add mushroom-onion-celery mixture, apples, cranberries, almonds, and parsley. Mix well.
- Fill casserole dish.
- Bake, covered, for 45 minutes. Remove cover and bake an additional 10 until the top browns.
To make whole grain bread crumbs: Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Cut 12 cups of whole wheat, whole grain, or gluten-free bread into cubes and place in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven for 5 minutes or until they are evenly toasted.
FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES, CLICK HERE: RECIPES